Small business home insurance, cover for contents and building when working from home or running a small business from your house

Get home insurance quote
House Insurance
> House Insurance Home Page
> Home contents insurance
> Buildings insurance
> Garden contents insurance
> Holiday home insurance
> Buy to let home insurance
> Home appliance insurance
> Mobile home insurance
> Flat share home contents insurance
> Small business home insurance
> Overseas home insurance
House insurance provider
Tesco home insurance
Direct Line home insurance
AA home insurance
Barclays home insurance
SAGA home insurance
Editorial Articles


Other Insurance Links

Car Insurance
Life Insurance
Holiday Insurance
Health Insurance
Pet Insurance
Wedding Insurance
Dental Insurance
Insurance Portal


Small business home insurance

Many home-based business owners own their own homes, and assume that their home insurance also covers their home-based business activities so home-based business insurance is often overlooked.

In fact, your home-based business activities can void your home insurance!

Home insurance covers people's homes when the home is used as residential accommodation only. So using the house for other purposes, such as running a small business (or even working from home a couple of days a week) that your insurer is not aware of may invalidate your home insurance policy.

The kind of home-based business insurance that you need depends on exactly what kind of home-based business you're operating.

While many home-based business owners rely on their home insurance to cover damage, loss and theft of property, all home-based businesses should have business contents insurance in addition to the home contents and/or property insurance provided by the owner's home insurance.

You only have to look around your home office and make a quick estimate of how much it would cost you to replace the expensive computer equipment, fax machines etc. surrounding you to see why many home insurance policies will not cover business contents.

Part of the Insurance Web Site network of web sites

Financial services products may be regulated to protect the consumer by the FSA and other such bodies
This site, and all of the sites in the Insurance Website network is/are intended to provide general information only and not provide specific individual advice