Garden contents insurance

Get home insurance quote
House Insurance
> House Insurance Home Page
> Home contents insurance
> Buildings insurance
> Garden contents insurance
> Holiday home insurance
> Buy to let home insurance
> Home appliance insurance
> Mobile home insurance
> Flat share home contents insurance
> Small business home insurance
> Overseas home insurance
House insurance provider
Tesco home insurance
Direct Line home insurance
AA home insurance
Barclays home insurance
SAGA home insurance
Editorial Articles


Other Insurance Links

Car Insurance
Life Insurance
Holiday Insurance
Health Insurance
Pet Insurance
Wedding Insurance
Dental Insurance
Insurance Portal


Garden Contents Insurance - Insurance for garden sheds, garden furniture

Did you know that the garden is fast becoming one of the most valuable parts of our homes, with contents worth thousands of pounds? Homeowners are increasingly investing a large amount of time and money designing and maintaining their gardens without seeking extra insurance to cover their investment in their gardens.

As a homeowner you should check that you have sufficient insurance for your garden. Apparently May and June are the peak months for theft. Theft from outbuildings such as sheds is particularly high.

According to a recent British Crime Survey, more than 5000 gardens are raided every week, and this figure is expected to rise as spending on plants, tools and garden furniture booms. Zurich Insurance has estimated that we already spend £4 million on our gardens every year.

Halifax General Insurance says that in some parts of the country, the average claim for garden theft is more than £1000. At the time of writing High Wycombe in Buckinghamshire is top of the table of biggest claims with an average of £1574.

Most house insurance companies offer cover for the contents of your garden as part of their home contents insurance policies, but the typical limit for claims could be £500 per claim for contents if they are left in the open. And let's face it, how many of us lock away that expensive garden furniture, patio headers and pot plants when we aren't in the garden!

If you have high value items you should lock them away or fix them to the ground. Insurers may offer more cover if you do this.

You should also check your home insurance policy to see if it has cover for individual items, such as bicycles.

Finally, if your garden does contain expensive contents, check with your insurers to see if they offer an enhanced policy to cover the extra value of the contents.


Part of the Insurance Web Site network of web sites

Financial services products may be regulated to protect the consumer by the FSA and other such bodies
This site, and all of the sites in the Insurance Website network is/are intended to provide general information only and not provide specific individual advice